Monday, April 30, 2007

Fly Like A PIG!


If ya can't join'em, HELP'EM I always say.

Have I mentioned that I am in charge of the finish line for The Flying Pig Marathon here in Cincinnati? Well if not, I think I just did.

I have been involved with the race since it's first running back in 1999. Having run 5 marathons of my own, one of my most vivid memories of ALL those races was the volunteer support. People rushing up to ask if I needed anything, handing me water, taking off my chip, wrapping a blanket around me.

When they stared this race in Cincinnati, having known a lot of local runners and organizers, I was asked to help out and JUMPED at the chance! The feeling of being on the other end of that water or blanket is one I will remember as long as I do the race itself.

So for the past several weeks, I've been involved in meetings, conference calls, emails and all the other stuff that goes into the logistics of making sure 10,000 runners have bagels and medals when they cross that finish line! It's always nerve wracking, but a blast!

The race is this Sunday, May 6! I'll be up at 4:30 AM to make sure I get there by 5:00 AM to get prepared for it all. I'm always NERVOUS about it all but it always works out. You cannot imagine all the things that have to happen to pull off just a finish line (WHAT No spoons for the yogurt???!!!)!! But it's all good.



All still perfect with my little "eating machine"! If fact, at this very moment my wife is at Target returning some "Newborn" diapers that no longer fit my little runner!





Still looking for that half marathon to point to. I "think" I want to do it in the September time frame. I'll keep you posted.

Peace....

7 comments:

Irish Blue said...

What an awesome way to support your fellow runners. Thanks!! I was amazed in Columbus at just how many volunteers it takes to make these big races happen.

I'll pray for good weather.

The little guy is just too cute!

Susan said...

Your "eating machine" is just the cutest thing EVER!!!!

I also intend to volunteer at a race ASAP. I have 2-3 in mind!

MarathonChris said...

Wow, as if you didn't have enough to focus on, you are working (organizing the work) for a big race as well! I think I am in awe!

Your little runner is looking great! Before you know it, he will be running circles around you (as you well know).

Keep on "flying"!

Marathon Maritza said...

Hi! I'm friends with Jen (runningstories) and I wandered over to your blog...How great that you volunteer at the race! I've been wanting to give back for a really long time and now you've given me the push to actually look into it seriously.

I'll be back, so keep posting more cute baby pics!

Maddy said...

Where do you find the time? I think it's awesome that you will be on the front line making sure that everything is perfect for those crossing the finish line!

And that Connor, my goodness! What a beautiful boy!

And Thank you so much for your support of my race for Casey! Much appreciated my friend!

jen said...

That's so cool you are working the marathon. I always want to do that but never do... but it's defintely on my list. I always am in awe of the effort that goes into a smooth finish line area. Good for you. :)

Look at Connor, what a beautiful baby. More pictures please!! :)

Cory said...

For all of those runners I say thanks for volunteering. It is awesome you are able to take the time to be that important part of the race.

The little guy is just the cutest!!