Monday, February 12, 2007

YOU'RE GONNA DO WHAT?????


This past Saturday my 34 week pregnant wife and I waddled into the hospital for "Curious Couples" classes and all I can say is it's a DARN good think men do NOT have babies!

Now I have NO idea what having a baby is like, but from where I sit, running a marathon is a WALK IN THE PARK! So to any woman who has experienced this miracle I say I AM NOT WORTHY!

During the class, when we were repeatedly asked if we had any questions, I was SO proud of my gorgeous wife for not raising her hand and blurting out WHAT WAS I THINKING???

Don't get me wrong, None of this was new to me, I went through this many years ago with my older kids, but it never ceases to amaze me what women have to go through to have a baby. If men had been chosen to bear this awesome responsibility, the highways would be far less crowded I promise you!

That having been said, this baby stuff (from MY seat) is the coolest thing ever! Things have come so far since my last children where born 23 years ago! Listening to the heartbeat and watching ultrasounds like it was nothing will never cease to amaze me. And all the cool "STUFF" they make for babies now! I almost chocked on my gum when I saw the stoller, uhm, I mean the "Travel System", had an MP3 input for my iPod! SOLD!

On a much lighter note, I ate SO much better last week and lost somewhere around 4 pounds! I am only checking my weight officially once a week, but I did cheat a couple of times and peaked.

I was also able to head outside this morning for 5 1/2 miles too! Very good thing I did. Another 3-6 inches of snow is forcast for this afternoon and tempts falling back to zero after that storm passes.

Oh well, it could be worse. I could be 34 weeks pregnant!!

3 comments:

MarathonChris said...

Wow, great job with the eating, weight loss and running!

Now speaking as someone who has both given birth to children (well, I had 2 C-sections) and run a marathon I would say that the mental games you play to get through child birth are not too unlike the ones you play to get through the tough parts of a marathon. That said, birthing is definitely tougher (in my opinion). You can do some training for it but you can't train hard and then have an easier birth. You can train really hard and have a tough birth or visa versa!

Although, on the scale of amazing and incredible, birthing wins hands down! :-)

Kevin said...

Chris,
I have run 5 marathons in times ranging from 3:21 to 4:55 (Kevin Bonks) and still can't imagine anything like having a baby! Once again.. I AM NOT WORTHY!!

Kevin

Irish Blue said...

Hey Kevin, congrats on being a dad again. Wow, I can't even imagine starting over with a baby. They say it keeps you young though.

Thanks for the shout out on my blog. I read marathonchris too. I'd be happy to link to your blog. Actually, I think we are practically neighbors.